Since its founding in 1949, the Peninsula Sports Club has been an active force on the sports scene. The First Headliner’s Night was held in 1950 and continues to recognize high school, college, and professional athletes, coaches, and volunteers from local communities. In 1955 the first All-Peninsula football team was honored and in 1958, baseball, basketball, and track were added. These All-Peninsula teams were the front runners for the now seasonal all star teams selected by the Daily Press.
The Club became involved in community projects, advocating in 1958 a “civic center” which became the Hampton Coliseum, and was involved in bringing professional baseball back to the Peninsula in 1963.
The goals of the Club have remained the same over the years, to identify and recognize Peninsula citizens who promote sports activities or make outstanding contributions to perpetuate community athletics; and to recognize outstanding Peninsula athletes, many of whom have gained national acclaim. The Club continues to recognize and honor the successes of male and female high school and college athletes throughout the area.
The Peninsula Sports Club is for the Virginia Peninsula area, to include Newport News, Hampton, Poquoson, Williamsburg, York County, and Gloucester. Membership in the club is encouraged from all cities. Athletes from all of these cities are eligible for awards given by the club.
Click here to view PSC History by Year